The clock is over 200 years old having been built by Gillett and Bland (now Gillett and Johnston) before 1784 when their records began.
The firm was started by William Gillett who became a clock maker in Hadlow, Kent before moving the firm to Croyden in 1844.
The firm is still very much a family business and moved in 2012 to new modern premises in Bletchingley, Surrey where they continue to carry out the manufacture, maintenance and service of clocks.
Commissions over the years have included:
- Khartoum University, Sudan
- St. John's Cathredral, Hong Kong
- Queen Mary's Building (Royal Naval College), Greenwich
- Sandringham Estate
- St. Thomas' Church, Johannesburg
The clock face is thought to be over 100 years old.
The working part of the clock (which still has to be wound up by hand) is having to be repaired and funds are being sought to enable the work to be carried out.