Thank you for considering getting married in St. George's.  It's a delightful venue, not just for it's history but also it's location overlooking the Brede Valley.


Some initial information for brides and grooms


In order to be married at this church, one of you needs to demonstrate that you have a connection with the parish. This could be one of the following:

You live in the parish

You are on the (church) electoral roll of the parish

You were baptised in the parish

You were confirmed from this parish

You have at any time lived in the parish for at least six months

You have habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least six months

A parent in your lifetime has lived in the parish for at least six months

A parent has habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least six months

A parent or grandparent was married in the church


If one of you has been previously married, you can only be married in church in certain circumstances.  If this applies to you, please contact one of the clergy to discuss the situation further.  However, there is a special service for use after a civil registration of the marriage (this used to be called a wedding blessing). You do not have to have a specific connection with the parish to have a wedding blessing.


If you want to get married at St. George’s you should book the date and time with one of the ChurchWardens as soon as possible. Some dates are very popular and it cannot be guaranteed that the date and time you want will be available.  We try to have just one wedding per day, but sometimes there is more than one wedding and it is important that times are arranged to give each wedding plenty of time without the need to hurry people away.


You should make sure we have your contact details – and that if these change you let us know as soon as possible.


One of the deciding factors over date and time is often linked to the availability of a venue for the reception.  St. George’s is opposite the Red Lion Public House, and they may be able to provide a reception in a marquee on their grounds or inside the pub.  There is also a new fully equipped church hall in the benefice at Udimore which can provide an idyllic setting for a reception (seating up to 80 in the hall and with the possibility of a marquee as well) if you wish to employ outside caterers or self cater (telephone 07895 639773 for more information). More details can be given on request.


We may also be able to help in other ways as well.  Would you like to have a gospel choir? Or a trumpet player? Or a soloist? Ask for details!


You will usually need to have your Banns called. This is a legal requirement, and involves your impending marriage being proclaimed in church on three consecutive Sundays asking if anyone objects on legal grounds to the union.  In some circumstances, it may be necessary to marry by Licence. This may happen if for example one of you is resident abroad, where either of you is a foreign national, or where there is a particular need for privacy.  You will be expected to provide evidence of your nationality – usually by producing your passport.


Having booked your wedding date, possibly well in advance, you will need to contact the Rector approximately six months before the wedding to arrange for the Banns form to be filled in. If you think you may need a Licence to get married, you should let the Rector know when you initially book the wedding.


You will also be expected to attend a brief wedding preparation course. This usually comprises a meeting to discuss the wedding service in detail and to look at the options available to you, a further meeting to talk about marriage itself, and a short informal rehearsal before the big day.


Your wedding may be conducted by any one of the priests connected with the benefice.  The priest taking the wedding service for you will normally also be responsible for your wedding preparation.



Well before the wedding you will also need to consider booking flowers, organist, bell-ringers, service sheets, etc. and the church will be able to assist you with details.  The church will also be able to provide you with details of the fees involved. The fees for a church wedding are standard, but in addition you will also need to pay for any organist or bell-ringers and the verger, and also a contribution towards heating if required.